Tuesday, May 28, 2013

J. CREW REVIEWS: NEW ARRIVALS

I received my order of new arrivals from the latest roll-out today.  I took advantage of the tiered promo and was so excited to be able to purchase some new arrivals at great prices.  My excitement waned, however, upon opening my new purchases.....

Overall, I'm disappointment, but my wallet's not.

First up,  the Collection Silk-Linen Skirt in Monarch - $288 - Item #01309.  I was super excited for this one and the colors were very vibrant which was great.  However, there is no IRL photo with the skirt on me because I couldn't get the skirt on me!!  I know I've gained a couple of pounds, but this was 1 to 2 sizes too small.  I could barely get it on and I definitely couldn't zip it up.  I was also disappointed in the weight of the fabric - it seemed thin and flimsy.  It is lined and I like the kick pleat in the front instead of the back.  I really like the colors and the pattern so I might try it again in a larger size but only on super sale.


This photo is reading as pink, but it is definitely red - a very pretty red/


Vacationland Blouse - $125 - Item #81102.  I'm on the fence with this one.  Thumb to the side as Gigi would say.  It feels like I'm wearing pajamas - not sure if it looks like I'm wearing pajamas.  I love the kitschy pattern and the colors in the pattern.  I think it would be super cute with the lavender #2 pencil skirt that recently sold out (story of my life :)) and black accessories.  I'm not sure about the background color as it is very close to skin color and is not uber flattering.  The fabric is pretty thin and I would want to wear a cami under it.  I will keep this one for awhile - try it on with some different outfits and then decide.  Glad I ordered online and I have 60 days to decide.
 
 




Linen Island Tee - $49.50 - item 01221.  I have been on a linen tee craze lately, but this one was a definite "NO".  The colors were nice, but I don't think the anyone would know what the print is unless you know what the print is - YKWIM?  Although it is a beach scene, it doesn't seem like a happy beach scene.  Seems like it's dark and cloudy and the photo says it's in Thailand - Tsunami coming?!  No thanks.




Parrot Pendant Necklace - $78.00 -  item 02591.  I love pendant necklaces and this one is no exception.  Colors are great and quality seems good.  Finally, a "Yes, Please".


 

15 comments:

  1. Isn't that weird about the skirt? Really odd! But I found that with another recent purchase one item in size 8 was too big, one was too small!

    I like the vacationland blouse, but I think you are right - has to paired exactly right to be kept out of PJ territory! I really like it on you! You have sold me on the parrot! that is going to have to come home with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think for $288 they could get the sizing right! I'm glad I have 60 days to decide about the blouse. The parrot is awesome; you will love it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I am soooo close to ordering that skirt - what a shame the size was wrong.
    I agree that the tee is rather stormy tsuanami beach, and to be honest, I'm not fond of the colour of the blouse. I think it's too pinky beige.
    The parrot necklace is fab, though!

    I wonder what size I would need in that skirt... I usually wear a P00, so perhaps the normal 00 would be good on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wear a size 2 in J Crew skirts and I'm not sure even a 4 would have fit in this one - it was that small. Maybe you should try a couple of sizes since there is no dreaded final sale. The parrot necklace is FAB!

      Delete
  3. I think you can do better than the vacationland blouse. Well, actually, you always look so polished and pretty and the blouse isn't in line with that. It doesn't do anything for your figure and the colors are close to your skin tone, so not enough contrast like the brights you wear so well. Beach style, but not nesc chic...if you will. $0.02

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and your commentary cracked me up. I like the colors in the linen island tee, but totally see what you mean about impending tsunami. lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the 2 cents :)! I really appreciate it and thanks for the compliments, too :). The vacationland blouse is going back and I'm sure I'll find something better to spend my $80+ on.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this. Your style is so pretty and polished every day that I have to say honestly I don't think the vacationland blouse suits you- it almost looks frumpy in the pics, and that is not you. Have to agree that the "beach scene" is dark and dreary, lol. What were they thinking?! Like so many of your recent outfits so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your opinion. It is all going back (except the parrot).

      Delete
  5. Your comment about the beach tee is too funny!!! They must've captured that moment in the shade with no sun :) The necklace is adorable!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reviews! I really love the look of that monarch skirt, too bad it didn't fit right!
    I ordered the Vacationland blouse and ended up returning it which was a disappointment. I saw it in a magazine and loved it, but in real life it just wasn't special enough. I love the print and color, but the shape leaves much to be desired. I think the short sleeve lends to the pajama feel and I can't believe how thin it is. Are you still on the fence about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - off the fence - it is definitely going back!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the review of the Monarch Skirt. I had high hopes for it. I didn't get the Vacationland Blouse but did buy the dress (linked to you in my post).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. The dress looks super cute on you!

      Delete